gavingrant

gavingrant

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
Jeanette Winterson
Twin Spica: Volume 12
Kou Yaginuma
Horse of a Different Color: Stories
Howard Waldrop

Manitou and Providence: Indians, Europeans, and the Making of New England, 1500-1643 - Neal Salisbury A fascinating and of course sometimes horrifying read. Especially sitting in Boston and reading about the formation of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and the two "virgin soil epidemics" in the early 17th century which in some areas killed up to 90% of the Native American population. The author considers many previous sources in trying to come up with population estimates and notes when there is only one source for anything. I also learned a little about the formation of our neighbor states, Connecticut and Rhode Island, and that rebellious leader Roger Williams. It was fascinating to see that the French were trading here first and that their trade (and the English and Dutch) irrevocably changed the Native American economy from gift/exchange to a more permanent idea of ownership.There may be newer books on the subject but this was the first I'd read about this for a while so much of it was fresh information to me. Recommended to anyone with an interest in how Massachusetts came to be.Recommended by Christopher Rowe.